Saturday, October 18, 2014

Consistency is the Key



I have heard a lot of discussion recently about how to become good at creating content.  There are a lot of answers from a lot of sources, but my number one answer is simple...consistency.

Most entrepreneurs, sales professionals, and leaders have great intentions.  You decide we need to institute a social media strategy or a sales strategy or (insert your plan) strategy, and so you set out immediately to do it.  And that's great.  The problem is, most of us (and I have totally fallen for this) don't think about what happens is 6 days, 6 weeks or 6 months, when business and life get in the way.  So the strategy stops.

But if you can keep it up...all the time...that is when the magic happens.  At first, you might not see the results.  You might not hear about it at first.  But later, after doing the work consistently, it will start to pay off.

I was telling the story of early in my sales career recently.  I visited a certain area every Tuesday for over a year.  I was like clockwork.  Each Tuesday I came into town to visit with customers and try to gain new ones.  Often I didn't have an appointment, but my customers began to expect me. 

After some success, I got to a point where I was not going as often.  And then I stopped. 

A year later I rolled into town (accidentally on a Tuesday) and I stopped in one of the places I used to go.  I went in and immediately apologized for stopping without having an appointment.  The customer said "That's okay!  You ALWAYS come on Tuesday!"

Be consistent with your efforts (whatever they are) and your efforts will pay off!

No comments:

Post a Comment