Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Two Steps To Improvement



Last week I was able to take some time to get away from the office.  It's always great to get out and enjoy life.  But as anyone who has a lot on their plate knows, sometimes it's tough to come back to all that is on your desk. 

I was certainly struggling with that yesterday morning.  There were so many things on my "To Do" list that I actually didn't know where to start.  When I find myself in those situations I used to get frustrated and overwhelmed.  Now I do two things...

1)  Take a walk (preferably outside) for about 20 minutes.  I find this time allows me to free my mind from the challenges at hand and come up with a more manageable way to tackle the day.

2)  Take the next right step.  (Then repeat).

This might sound overly simplified.  It might be.  But I find this helps me get my projects moving in the right direction.  So when in doubt...take the next right step.

2 comments:

  1. Good quick reminder. I recently read a Jon Gordon book and have adopted the philosophy of a "to-be" list instead of a "to-do" list. He stresses that if you look at every task as a way to be a better you -- it may help to accomplish more. Just a thought to share!

    ReplyDelete