Monday, October 24, 2011

You are "They"

I had the opportunity to talk to a group from the local Career Center the other day and I was discussing many of the topics that show up on this blog. It was going great. I had told them that successful people needed to set goals, dream big, and give themselves permission to fail...so they could succeed.

One of the things we then discussed is they should not wait for others to "give" them an opportunity. To be successful, the students needed to create those opportunities for themselves.

I told them that the "they" mentality is killing us! Everyone is waiting for "they" to do something. "I am a part of 'they,'" I told them. "We are starting a new group called 'we,' and 'you' are welcome to be a part of it!"

Sometimes we give away our power to create success by blaming it on others. As I looked around the room, I saw several eyes in the room that "got it." I hope "they" reach out and create their own future! I hope you do too!

No comments:

Post a Comment