Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Listen To The Other Side




I have been known to describe certain people I know as “Often wrong but never uncertain.”  It’s not a compliment. 

Though I love someone who has the courage of their convictions, I find that allowing yourself to consider (and then re-consider) your opinions has value.  The way I felt when I was 19 is not always the way I feel when I am 40.  Nor should it be.  But many people find an opinion (or a party, or a group, or whatever) that they side with and then never re-consider.  They cling to the same ideology regardless of what is in front of them. 

One of the best ways to really re-evaluate is to listen (REALLY listen) to the other side of an argument.  What is their perspective?  What do they know that I don’t know?  Why do they feel the way they do?

You might change your mind.  Or you might not.  But then you would really know.

No comments:

Post a Comment